Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default "Dumb" question about machining thin parts

ducque wrote:

For example, using my milling vise and parallels, I cannot effectively
grip and strongly hold anything less than about 0.065 thick.

What do people do in these situations? Thanks.

There are more options left.
You can put the part between brass shims that you (partialy) mill away.
I call this "lost vice".
Also soft soldering and LockTite often helps. Sometimes, parts get
frozen to a plate (didn't try this, you must be either fast or
constantly cooling).
An other option is casting (and thus clamping) the part in low melding
(100°C) alloys like Wood's metal or some Cerobend alloys. They are very
stiff, you won't have bending. This is often the only way to clamp
irregular shapes. You can play tricks with it when milling very thin
tubes if you fill the tube with the alloy, etc.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de