Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Donnie Barnes

Default "Dumb" question about machining thin parts

On Fri, 02 Dec, Jon Elson wrote:
This gets a bit more complicated, but you certainly can do it. One way
is to build a shoulder into the arbor, to support one side of the work.
You turn a smaller diameter out from the shoulder just slightly smaller
than the ID hole in the part. Then you turn down and thread the rest of
the arbor to a convenient thread size. So, one side of the part rests
on the shoulder, the ID is centered by the rod next to the shoulder, and
a nut can be run down to hold the other side of the part. You can also
turn a disc that supports the part almost out to the OD, if it is very
thin and flimsy.

Umm, did I describe this well enough to be understood? I hope so.

I guess basically you're saying to do the same thing (secure part between
two nuts over a bolt), but turn down a shoulder in one nut that matches the
ID of the part in question. Makes perfect sense. Some of this **** is so
*simple* that it's painful when you don't think of it yourself. Duh.

--Donnie