Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

"Abrasha" wrote in message
. ..
Terry Keeley wrote:
FWIW, the replacement bearings I ordered from Clausing a few years ago
are
Fafnir 7205WN SU.

I have been following this thread with great interest, since I own the
same mill (http://www.abrasha.com/studio.htm).

I wonder, if I'll ever get to doing the same thing that you are doing.
Your mill is going to be as close to "new" as possible when you are done.
You even took the Clausing name plates on the side of the column off. Now
that is dedication!

And the added work you did by putting it all online is nothing to scoff at
either. What a great job you're doing.

BTW, I noticed in your images of the mill, that it does not have a motor
mounted. If you are thinking of getting a new motor for it, I strongly
recommend a new Baldor motor.

Get a 3 phase, 3/4HP with RIGID base. Whatever motor you may get, do not
get a resilient base motor for this mill. When I got my mill, it had some
crappy Sears 1/2HP resilient base motor on it (the one in the picture on
my site), and the mill was always dancing around the floor at the higher
rpm's. Let me know, and I'll post the model number of my motor.

Clausing still sells the rubber washers that go between the NEMA frame and
the motor for mounting. Now, with my new motor properly mounted the
machine is as rigid as it should be.

If you are interested, I have a parts list with prices from Clausing of
parts that are still available for this mill. The list is from the time
that I got my mill, so it is most likely at least be partially outdated. I
think that booklet also contained "exploded view" assembly drawings of the
mill. At the time I got my mill I bought this list with drawings from
Clausing for $10.00 after which I ordered several new parts. Among other
things I got two new nuts for the lead screws for the X and Y axes, which
brought the backlash down from around .020" to a more manageable .010".
Still not great, but then again I am not machining parts for NASA. At the
time new lead screws were also available, but they cost more than I paid
for the entire mill, so I did not get those.

And finally, I have printouts of the original owner's manual, that someone
emailed me when I got this mill. That might have been Mike Henry, but I
am not sure about that. I can no longer find the original digital files
that were sent to me. But I think, that I still have those printouts
somewhere, so if nothing else I can scan those and send them to you.

It probably wasn't me that sent you the manual as Clausing only charges $10
for it and I feel that all but the most destitute owners should be willing
to come with that much cash for a manual.

I may have sent you copies of the test report from my mill, though, or maybe
scans from an old brochure showing the few accessories they sold for these
mills. If you've lost those, or just want them, email me for a copy.

Mike