Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The phrase "driving to the bottle bank" is commonly used as a
reference to the futility of some types of recycling. If you have
to drive to a bottle bank, it's more environmentally friendly to
drop the glass in your regular landfill rubbish.

We had a glass/cans/paper collection bin provided recently. The idea
being you collect such items in this bin and it gets emptied on the same
day as the bins every other week.

So far so good. But I do wonder how much environmental cost is there in
everyone using now washing up cans and bottles that would previously
have just been binned, on the grounds that they don't want soiled
containers sitting about in the open air for a fortnight?

--
Cheers,

John.