Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default How to Insulate Attic Stairs

Joe V wrote:
I want to insulate the area above the folding attic stairs in my house.
I see several ways online, but was wondering if anyone had any
experience with this. There seems to be differing opinions on what is
best. Thanks in advance for any advice.

They sell a lot of different products, some go into the hundreds of
dollars. I just cut up a sheet of foil-faced rigid insulation to form
a shallow box/cover and tape it together with fiberglass-reinforced
strapping tape. Any type of foam attached to either the cap or attic
floor will serve as a gasket. Unless you use the attic very frequently
a hinged cover is unnecessary.