Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Kitchen sink types

In article .com,
says...

I had a few thoughts after reading some of the replies.

1.) Most garbage disposal manufacturers warn against shoving piles of
peelings down the disposal, so it makes sense to peel into something
you can empty into the garbage or a compost pile.

One reason why I dont' miss having a garbage disposal. You need to scrape stuff
into the garbage and get it out of the house anyways. (BTW, anyone catch the NPR
story on plumbers' busiest day of the year being the Friday after Thanksgiving?)

2.) Even if you decide to peel into the sink, who cares if peels get
soapy, or get pasta water on them? It's garbage. You really don't do
"food prep" on the dirty bottom of a sink.

I care. Not for the peels, of course. But for the blockage and the overall
accumilating mess. It *is* nice to have one little basin clean for some things
while there's a mess in the other.

3.) When someone needs to drain a big pot of boiling pasta water,
you're going to get out of their way anyway, and it takes mere seconds,
so a divider isn't needed.

They quickly clean up before they do?? Or do you *enjoy* that mush-mess of
potato peels, strawberry tops, and eggshells, 4qt. of pasta-water, mix gently??

I dunno - I'm the only cook. The veggies need peeling sometimes when the pasta
needs draining, and I'm out of my own way...

4.) If you feel you need to soak some dish, most items (pots, pans,
plates, casserole dishes, etc) will hold thier own soapy water, so
there's no need for immersion. And without a divider, there's more
room to set set dishes.

Yep, this one I agree with. And the cookie sheet, and the turkey pan. Although
with my old double sink I got pretty good and just turning around for stage two
cleaning..

After two years of putting up with two basins, I realized one day that
not once in all that time did my wife or I ever need or use that
divider that was getting in the way and taking up valuable sink room.

I was totally on the fence (um...divider?) about the two vs. one basin thing,
and went for one basin for the remod. But it's really an individual thing. For
me, advantages vs. disadvantages are about a toss-up.

Banty (hmmmm, granite's not cut yet, maybe I can change my mind...)