Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen sink types

Most of this boils down to your main uses for the sink and personal
preferences. About 6 months ago I replaced my kitchen sink and spent a
couple of weeks sorting through the options. Here are my thougths:

First, the most useless sinks, IMO are the two bowel disposal models
where there is one large bowl, one very small bowl, split about 80/20.
Until recently, I never knew what the idea behind these was. The small
bowl is supposed to be for the garbage disposal, with the idea being
that you scrape plates off into it. I've never done this, one reason
being in my house, the disposal was installed on the large bowl. And
if I scrape off plates, I only scrape off the big stuff and I usuallydo
that right into the garbage can. So the small bowl, IMO, is usesless.

Then there are the two bowel sinks with both bowls of decent size.
The big advantage of having two bowels for me is having a clean back up
sink available. For example, when cooking, I can be using one bowl for
prep work with veg scraps, etc, and use the second for a collander. Or
just having it available to use should the need arise while the other
bowl if occupied. Of the two bowl sinks of decent size there are two
types:

Equal bowls - These can be OK, but the main drawback is that neither
bowl is large enough for big pots/pans.

Bowls split to be about 2/3, 1/3. This is my strong preference. The
main bowl is then large enough to fit most pots/pans, while the second
bowl is still big enough as a second sink. The depth of the bowls is
another key factor, deep is much better. It gives more room and even
makes the spray much more usefull, as there is less blowback when
spraying things. Drain location is another factor, with drains
located in the back a plus, as it gives more space on the sink bottom,
without the drain being there.

I decided on the Kohler Marsala, which is shown on their website. It
has two bowls, split about 2/3, 1/3 with the larger one being very
deep, the second being average depth. It comes with a single faucet
hole located at the middle divider, with an optional second hole in the
corner. This eliminates the dead space usually running along the back
of the sink, so the two bowls both go far back, right to the rim,
giving a couple of extra inchs of room. The drains are located in the
rear. I have my hot water dispenser in the corner hole.

Regarding sink options and extra holes, another conclusion I came to is
that I didn't want a soap dispenser. When I dispense soap, it is
frequently onto something, like a pot, so I prefer to have a soap
bottle handy.

I absolutely love the Marsala and think it is the perfect std size
sink. Hope all this helps!