Posted to comp.dcom.xdsl,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
CJT

Default Electrically isolating network hardware from dehumidifier: isolationtransformer or line conditioner?

wrote:

Hi. I have a dehumidifier plugged into the same electrical outlet as my
DSL router and wireless router. I want to electrically isolate the DSL
and wireless units from the on/off switching of the dehumidifier. The
dehumidifier has a big electric motor inside of it, and I've read that
the on/off action of that motor kicks electrical garbage backwards into
the line and can affect my electronics.

I've narrowed my choices down to either an isolation transformer:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=227

or a line conditioner:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=208

The models I picked out cost about the same. It looks like they cover
most of the same ground, but not being an electrician, I'm not
completely sure. Which do you recommend?

Thanks.
Roger Carlson

Unless you're seeing a problem, I wouldn't bother. The router should
be regulating its own power (and if it runs off of a "wall wart" there's
already considerable isolation), and ethernet is designed to be pretty
tolerant of noise.