Posted to comp.dcom.xdsl,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Charles Schuler

Default Electrically isolating network hardware from dehumidifier: isolation transformer or line conditioner?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I have a dehumidifier plugged into the same electrical outlet as my
DSL router and wireless router. I want to electrically isolate the DSL
and wireless units from the on/off switching of the dehumidifier. The
dehumidifier has a big electric motor inside of it, and I've read that
the on/off action of that motor kicks electrical garbage backwards into
the line and can affect my electronics.

You most likely do not need any isolation. Your routers have power supplies
with big capacitors that will absorb reasonable transients. I lean toward
protecting the entire building or home with a transient suppressor at the
main power panel.