Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave W

Default Benjamin's Best tools anyone?

I sent an email complaining the "bowl gouges" I had received were actually
spindle gouges, not deep fluted bowl gouges.
They said they were aware of the problem and would replace them as soon as
the new ones came in. They did so
and I received them this week. They had a good fingernail grind and I just
touched them up on the Tormek before
turning couple of box elder bowls. I am very satisfied with them. They work
as well as my more expensive ones.
They may or may not last as long, only time will tell, but I can buy several
of them for the price of a Sorby.
By the way, PSI told me I could keep the spindle gouges.
Dave

gouges.
wrote in message
ps.com...
The problem with PSI, Benj's bowl gouges, is they are really spindle
gouges. At least that's been my experience. When I called to
complain, of course, the grouchy females that answer the phones, didn't
know what I was talking about. So, they put me thru to their "Turning
Tech Guru" (forgot his name), but, I may just as well have kept
speaking with the grouchy females. At least they admitted they didn't
know what I was talking about. This guy told me, like they told
you, that the problem would be corrected with the next shipment.
That was a couple of years ago. So, I see now, that was bull. At
PSI, they don't know a bowl gouge from a skew chisel.

My first experience with the "Benji Best" was the 6 piece set, at least
4 years ago. I liked them well enough that I thought I'd try another
set. Well, the quality wasn't nearly as good as the first set.
And, the bowl gouge, was a shallow gouge (read spindle gouge), not a
deep fluted (bowl gouge). What they did was reduce the price, along
with the quality, which is to be expected. Still, for the money, for
a first set, it is still worth the money.

I did buy 6 of their scrapers recently, & I think they are also a good
buy.

HTH,