Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism,alt.politics
Rod Speed

Default OT - Betting On Social Security?

F. George McDuffee wrote
Rod Speed wrote
F. George McDuffee wrote

One of the criteria for a successful species is the ability
to reproduce and possibly expand their polulation numbers.

Its much more complicated than that with human societys.

By this criteria the poor are a much more
successful species than the European middle class.

Stupidly irrelevant criteria.

What matters is the living standards, stupid.

To who?

Those 'living' them.

This is the old 'good for the individual' v. 'good for the group'
problematique.

Nope, not with modern human societys it aint.

The saber tooth tigers may have had very high standards of living
[by tiger standards] but they are all gone while the rabbits prosper.

Completely irrelevant to modern human societys.

The American standard of living is *NOT* the norm,

Never said it was. And you were clearly talking
about the european middle class anyway.

although it may be an ideal.

It may also be close to what most aspire to too.

The historical record shows the typical standard
of living something like present day China or India.

Irrelavant to that silly line you ran.

We are simply 'regressing to the mean.'

Nope, those in china and india are in fact moving closer to the
living standards seen by the european middle class all the time.

So are the dregs of north america too.

You can make water run uphill, but you
must continually input energy to do it.

True in spades of just population numbers.

We are paying the price for not investing in the critical metaphorical
and physical infrastructures, or in the areas that matter.

No we arent. Living standards are much better than our grandparents
had and that is true for the 'poor' in modern first world countrys in spades.

We spend more than enough money, but on the wrong things.

In your opinion.

In automotive terms, we have "invested" in a killer sound system,
but have not changed the oil. Now the car is not running so good.

Another mindlessly silly analogy.

If we keep this up, it won't run at all.

Hysterics have been hyperventilating like that ever since Malthus
started doing that. Turned out nothing like he mindlessly claimed
and it aint gunna turn out anything like you claim either.