Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default Countersinking with a too-fast drill press

In article rs.com,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

According to Joseph Gwinn :
In article aQhjf.103$R02.75@trndny06,
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

[ ... ]

Are there countersink tools available with three flats on the shank?

I imagine that there are, but I haven't seen them. I imagine that the
better grade of countersinks do not have the flats, the expectation
being that one will use a better grade of chuck to match. My solution
was to upgrade the chuck. I'd love to get a ball-bearing Jacobs chuck,
but have not seen it offered with a J33 taper, only J3 and the like. My
next drill press will not have J33 taper - too limiting.

Doesn't your drill press have a Morse taper spindle? And how
about your next one? If so, you can adapt it for almost *any* Jacobs
taper.

No. None of the current Delta drill presses do, even the large ones.
One of the reasons I often refer to it as "cute"; it's not a compliment.
So much for Delta. My next drill press *will* have a morse taper
spindle. (Or will be a mill-drill with R8 spindle.)

I recently looked at an old variable-speed three-phase 20" Clausing
drill press that was in very good condition and cost $650, but is a bit
large for my little shop. This Clausing is a dollar a pound, and
stands about 70" tall. I would have bought it were it a bit smaller.

That set me to thinking that a mill-drill of similar size and weight
might be the ticket, given my limited space. (No way can I fit a 2000
pound Bridgeport. Nor do I really need anything that capable. But it
would be nice.)

Anyway, my current list of requirements for a drill press follow:

1. Morse taper spindle.

2. T-slot table, with coolant drain. (Oddly, the little Delta has
this.)

3. Minimum speed of about 100 rpm. Max speed not critical, but better
than 2000 rpm is good. (The 500-rpm min speed of the little Delta is a
big problem.)

4. Quill travel of at least 4 or 5 inches, with a depth stop that
really works, but need not be quick to adjust. (The 3" travel on the
cute little 12" Delta just isn't enough, and I am forced to unclamp the
table far too often.)

5. Quill lock.

6. Variable speed. This can be mechanical, with single-phase motor, or
it can be a VFD-driven three phase motor with step pulleys. I will
provide and install the VFD if needed. (My background is electronics.)
In a used machine (like that Clausing drill press), one may end up with
mechanical variable-speed drive plus a VFD. I could make a rotary phase
converter, but don't know where I would put it.

7. Motor voltage of 110 or 220 vac; 440 vac only won't do, because I
don't want to need a big transformer. I have 110/220 vac 60 Hz single
phase in my shop.

Comments?

Joe Gwinn