L Reid

Default Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without

Thanks for the speedy response! However, I would be interested to know if
the building warrant situation (or lack of) can be addressed post-purchase.
It's a bit easier to call an attic 'floored loft space' than move a bathroom
or windows.

Because this is in Scotland (where a building warrant appears to be required
for practically any change), I would have thought there would be a higher
occurrance of 'post build' warrants than anywhere else. Time to cross post
to UK DIY I think and see if anyone there has experience with building
warrants.

Leigh

"!Speedy Gonzales!" wrote in
message ...
"L Reid" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone out there been through the same stuff can advise.

snip

Don't really know too much about the council angle but I have heard of
scenarios where people buy properties without the various warrants as they
don't really need them to buy the property but there has been problems

when
they in turn decide to sell. Happened to two people I know, one was a
converted attic, the other was an integral garage turned into a playroom.
Both parties, like you, were very anxious to buy the properties in this
'heated' market and didn't want to lose out. My friend with the
playroom/garage managed to sell again 'property as seen' but the other

with
the attic had to sell as 'floored storage space' which was reflected in

the
sale price!
Personally, I would make sure all planning permission has been granted for
all changes and modifications.

--

!Speedy Gonzales!

Take out the 'OBVIOUS' to reply