Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

Default GFCI Question?

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Dick :
-=-=-=-=-=-

After reading the very helpful replies from this forum I have

decided to rewire the (new) wall box I
installed in such a way that the outlet side will merely continue

the kitchen counter circuit (which is
protected by an "upstream" GFCI) & the switch (which shares the

same double box) will merely tie into the
original disposer line (on it's own breaker) & have no connection

whatever to the counter circuit. (This will
also free up space in the box & allow me to easily wire the

ground to the disposer switch)
I had (evidently erroneously) thought that running the disposer

( since it obviously contacts water) off of a
GFI protected circuit was a safer way to go...... I still don't

understand why it is evidently safer to not
have the disposer ( & thus it's new above counter switch)

protected by a GFI, but I guess it isn't.

What gives you the idea that it isn't? Nothing wrong with putting

it on a GFCI.

Motor loads will give nuisance trips every once in a while, though....