Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Hallway carpeting and high traffic?

"Rex" wrote in message

Carpet runners in the hallways would be a hassle to clean, would mat down
the carpet underneath and would become a trip hazard. Installing tile
would be very expensive for the amount needed especially since that would
necessitate also tiling the connected kitchen, bathroom and laundry so
tile would never bizarrely connect with vinyl floors.
I think there is a rule that says carpet can touch tile and vinyl can
touch carpet, but vinyl cannot touch tile.

There are no rules. You have my permision to put down what you want.

Coming in from the garage, I'd have a heavy duty floor mat at the entrance.
That will get 90% of the dort. The kitchen should be an easy to clean vinyl
or ceramic tile.

If the hallway is high traffic, consider an engineered wood (
www.mannington.com for example) or laminate ( www.wilsonart.com) as it is
easily cleaned, durable, looks good.

How would two different carpet styles connect at their borders without
looking strange?

One one floor I have vinyl in the kitchend, the LR DR and hallway have the
same carpet, but there is a strip of laminate up the stairs and into the
kitchen right whee the hall and LR come together. Looks fine. If it was
carpent it would have been worn out while the rest of hte house is still
very good. That is why I chose it. Bedrooms and bath all have different
floor, bt it is not odd looking as they ransition at the door and you don't
see thema ll at the same time anyway.

Go to a local flooring store and ask for some ideas. Thee are many good
products that can make you cleaning life easier.