Greg Dermer

Default FA: Rivett 1020S Toolroom lathe - North Florida

The Rivett is, as has been mentioned, similar in appearance to the Monarch.
Which came first, or whether they sort of developed in parallel, is
something of an open question.

The standard Rivett came with an L0 spindle nose, which is what most
manufacturers put on 14" or larger lathes. Later 1020/1030's were available
with a D series camlock nose as an option. The Rivett is quite a lot
beefier than the Monarch, with the 1020 weighing in at about 3800 pounds,
compared to 3000 or so for the 10EE.

The Rivett takes 6R collets since Rivett considered the 5C collet to be too
short and lightweight. Though the capacity of the 6R is only a little
greater than the 5C (1 1/8" vs 1 1/16"), a 6R collet is much longer, about
5" vs 3".

I'm not familiar with a Monarch 13EE, but I've seen a 1000EE and it is an
amazing thing. Huge and loooonnnnnnggg. I talked to a fellow at PRIME a
few years ago that used a 1000EE, and his view was that it was magnificent
in concept and great when it was working, but the electrical and hydraulic
control mechanisms were somewhat "experimental" to put it charitably.
Keeping it running was a full-time job. That was his opinion, and he's the
only one I've talked to that actually ran one.

-- Greg
http://www.depmco.com
http://www.rivettlathe.com

"Peter H." wrote in message

The convergent evolution between this and the 10EE is pretty striking.

The Rivett has an additional bearing in the middle, hence the longer

spindle.

IIRC, the Rivett has an L-type mount whereas the Monarch has a D1-3 mount

(the
smallest in the Camlock series).

Not sure if the Rivett can do any better than 5C collets, though.

If not, the Rivett just has a stiffer spindle, although the Monarch's

spindle
is certainly plenty stiff.

For some other interesting similarities, check out the CVA toolroom lathe.