Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Cook

Default big abrasive saw, initial report

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 13:11:22 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:20:27 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

The vise is both cool and unfortunate. It's a nice cam-action vise which works
quickly. The bad thing about it is it only works at 90° and 45°, can't cut any
angle I want. I may think of a way to cobble but for now I'll go with it.

That's one of the problems with the commercial saws like that.
They're great for straight cuts. There are some out there that are
miter saws which is what I want. They don't clamp as fast but there's
just like a wood miter saw when it comes to versatility. If I ever
manage to gather up enough round tiuts I'm going to overhaul mine into
a miter saw.

My 10" Kalamzoo is the only one of its kind that Ive ever seen. The
entire saw portion is mounted on a 18" disk, so the engire saw may be
turned at any angle, with two fixed cam locking vises providing hold
down for the stock. It will cut about 60' in one direction and about
45 or so in the other.

The Ag department at the local school has one. I don't remember the
brand right now though.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm