Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Gunner Asch

Default cost of welding gas?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:22:30 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Ignoramus20878 wrote:

Is that 20 cubic feet per MINUTE or per HOUR?

Ah. I think I'm beginning to see where I was led astray. If it's CFH, and the
tank is rated in cubic feet then the math is trivial. Thanks.

GWE

Its indeed in CFM/H

Gunner, who pays $18USD + $3 for a 135 CF tank of Argon OR C25

I think that a simple division would suggest that at 20 cfH, it would
last for 125/20 hours, or approximately 6 hours (note that also some
gas will be left in the tank). You divide the fill cost by 6 (hours)
and then by 60 (min/hr) to get the cost per minute.

Say your fill cost is $48.

Cost per minute = 48/(125/20)/60 = 12.8 cents per minute or $7.68 per hour.

Is there a primer somewhere online or in a book that breaks this down?

Grant Erwin

for torturing the cat." Gunner