Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

"lynd" wrote in message
Has anyone else had the experience of a local council getting sh*tty
because
you have asked them to take away a fridge? They are charging me £20
anyway,
but thats not the issue, I was made to feel really guilty for daring to
get
rid of my old appliance and get a new one at all!

I heard of recycling but this is silly.

In 1977 I brought my fridge. Its now knackered. Doesnt cool and needs to
be
replaced. So I replaced it. Council officer told me I should not have
replaced it - I am an ecologically unfriendly person for getting rid of an
old appliance!

From next year councils will be fined for exceeding quotas of rubbish just
buried instead of recycled. The figures run into several hundred thousand
pounds.

The councils are between a rock and a hard place. So blame it all on
central government.

bland