Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 10:11:17 +0000 (UTC), "lynd"
wrote:

Has anyone else had the experience of a local council getting sh*tty because
you have asked them to take away a fridge? They are charging me £20 anyway,
but thats not the issue, I was made to feel really guilty for daring to get
rid of my old appliance and get a new one at all!

The whole recycling system is a joke.

Some types of waste Councils do not want. Other types of waste they
really do want.

The Government has set local authorities a target based on weight in
respect of the recycling of certain types of waste. This does not
encourage a local authority to recycle in the most effective way.

For example, take the recycling of glass and aluminium.

The UK now produces so much recycled green glass that we sell the
excess to China. However, we produce insufficient aluminium in the UK
that we have to import it from Europe.

Solution: We need to encourage greater recycling of aluminium.
However, this will not particularly help a local authority to meet
their recycling weight target, because aluminium is considerably
lighter in weight than glass. In order to meet weight targets, a local
authority is more likely to push glass and paper recycling.

Graham