Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Suggestions? - Wall bracket to hold heavy screen away from wall

david lang wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Ceiling mount:

I don't believe for a second that I'll find conveniently placed
ceiling joists to allow the screen to be suspended directly from the
screen casing's hooks. So, one option would be to screw a batten (say
1" by 2") the length of the screen into the ceiling wherever I can
find a joist, and then screw a couple of eyes into the batten at the
required centres for the screen.

This sounds like the best alternative, but I reckon it depends which way the
joists run. Assuming the window is at the end of the room, doo the joists
run along the room or across it?

If they run along it no problem, you will find them every 16". If they run
across the room the first one you find will be 16" away from the window
wall.

If you have floorboards upstairs, they will be at 90 degress to the joists -
lift some carpet & have a look.

Dave

Ah, my trusty stud detector tells me the joists are either everywhere or
nowhere. Upstairs = chipboard floor panels (new build home), joints in
roof run in direction of window, sort of assumed that they would also
downstairs - also, open plan run with open stairway running to-from wall
with window in, assume joists run same direction?