Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default Old gas heaters ? ? ?

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Ray wrote:
Years ago it was common to see in many houses those open, grated gas
heaters. I once lived in an apartment which had one of these heaters in
every room. As I recall, they weren't even vented. And yet I don't recall
any warnings against using these heaters, nor do I recall any fatalities.

I've been thinking of installing one of these -- you can still find them
in various places -- as a substitute for a wood fire.

Is there a danger?

Also, is it possible to use a flexible gas supply line so that these
heaters can be moved around. I'd like to put it in the fireplace when
it's not in use, and pull it out onto the hearth when it is in use.

No!!

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/FIRE/firehtng.html#Gas

Those old heaters have no protection against
consuming the room's oxygen.
And they have no protection against pilot outage.

And, no, flex gas lines are not intended for
frequent flexing.

Jim

Jim,

Actually you can get a gas line that designed for commercial use in kitchens
that IS designed for flexing on a daily basis, but he wont like the price on
a 3 foot, 1/2 inch line...I have to carry them for a resturant chain we
service, and the WHOLESALE price for the good ones is over $120.00
course..it comes with all fittings, and a couple of snap self sealing
connections