Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Default UPS Fraud in Furnace Parts

Until November 29, I assumed he had not known the part was bad. I
thought it was wrong to blame UPS and wondered why he insisted that
his visual inspection proved it had been good. As Terry documented
above, a visual inspection means nothing. If he'd made the
recommended electrical check, he would have known it was cracked.

Then he shipped me another ignitor in spite of my telling him
repeatedly that I didn't want or need it. November 23, when I said
the first one was broken, his wife immediately said they were
sending another. I emailed her and talked to her on the phone,
asking her not to send it because I knew where to get one locally.
She agreed and none was sent.

Six days later, at 5:45 AM November 29, without my requesting one,
he emailed me to say he was sending one. When I read it at 1:30, I
immediately replied asking him not to send any. At 4:30 UPS sent
me a message that he had told them to pick up my package. When I
read it at 6:30, I phoned and left a message identifying myself and
asking them please not to send it. At 8:30 UPS picked it up.

To call that a mixup stretches my credibility a long way. If it
were an honest mistake, wouldn't he have emailed me in the three
days since?

His shipments include a paper with the UPS phone number telling
customers it's up to them to contact UPS and claim damages. He
leads the receiver to expect payment from UPS. Is it a fact that a
claim by the receiver will result in a payment to the shipper? Do
you believe that all this time he has been ignorant of this?

Mike Berger wrote:

There's no evidence in what you wrote that somebody sent you a
known bad part. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.

However, it is up to the shipper to make any damage claims with
UPS.

Sawney Beane wrote:
I seem to be dealing with an online retailer who has access to
parts that failed factory QC tests. His goods arrive with a note
saying if the part arrives broken, it's the fault of UPS and it's
the buyer's responsibility to contact UPS. Then he sends another
even if the buyer has repeatedly asked him not to, by phone and
email. As a result, he buys one part wholesale and bills the buyer
twice for his retail price and shipping. I'd like to know who to contact.