Posted to uk.d-i-y
lynd

Default Rubbish disposal, government regs and local councils

Fwiw, I might add, I am getting so p*ssed off with all this eco stuff that
I am getting to the point where I think sod you all and it will last my
lifetime ( which it probably will!)

Shouting at people for changing fridge's every 25 years is not the way to go
here. I would have understood if I was doing the designer thing and
throwing out goods because they didn't fit in with the colour of my dogs
coat!

"lynd" wrote in message
Has anyone else had the experience of a local council getting sh*tty

because
you have asked them to take away a fridge? They are charging me £20

anyway,
but thats not the issue, I was made to feel really guilty for daring to

get
rid of my old appliance and get a new one at all!

I heard of recycling but this is silly.

In 1977 I brought my fridge. Its now knackered. Doesnt cool and needs to

be
replaced. So I replaced it. Council officer told me I should not have
replaced it - I am an ecologically unfriendly person for getting rid of an
old appliance!

What am I supposed to do?

Ditto experience when I went to the amenity tip/ recycling tip with my old
microwave ( bought 1981). Old microwave has a hole in it. It is rusted
through. I got a new one. They told me I should not be dumping my old one
because I was making waste! Unfortunately I took my old knackered Vax (
bought 1987) at the same time. The motor is knackered and it doesnt suck.
Apparently I am supposed to repair it ( I was told by the repair people it
was not economic to do so!).

We have got to the point now where you are not allowed to throw anything
away. You are not allowed to burn anything. You are not allowed to dump
anything. Should I rename my house Steptoes Backyard?

So what am I supposed to do? Not replace old appliances? Go without
altogether and live a life of Victorian * luxury* with no mod cons?