Posted to alt.home.repair
Bernie Hunt

Default Replacement Windows for Brick House?

I just removed to double hung windows from my 1957 vintage house in NY. The
"brick" molding were nailed into the jack studs. That and a couple of nails
through the sill where what was holding them in place. These were on a part
of the house that had siding, so your mileage may vary. Pick one where you
don't mind replacing the interior molding and do some measuring. Take off
the interior molding so you can see where are the studs. Then do some
carefull measuring to see if the brick moldings on the outside are covering
the studs. If they are, then it's likely they are held in by the brick
moldings.

Just be aware that they new window won't be the same size as the current
brick molding. Have a plan for how to fill that space with new moldings to
keep the exterior water tight.

Bernie

wrote in message
oups.com...
My house in El Paso, TExas is a brick veneer with casement windows,
built in 1959. I'd love to replace those drafty single-pane windows
with good energy-efficient double panes. I could probably do the job
myself "IF" I knew how the present windows were installed. And "IF" I
don't have to take bricks loose on the outside of the house

In that era, were the windows usually installed from the inside, with
large screws going through the sides and into the framing of the window
opening, which was then hidden by the drywall in the window opening?
Or were they installed from the outside and secured with a nailing
flange on the outside of the framing, which was then covered with one
row of bricks?