Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Roof / Drip Edge / Fascia

I too am a little lost. Do you have a soffit and eave overhang
that extends out past the outside wall face?
The only way I could see water getting into the block work at the
roof line would be due to no overhang. If moisture were getting
into the block at the roof line I would expect to see water
stains, blistered paint, or other water indications up high, not
in the crawl space. If the water were wicking around the shingle
edge heading toward the block work, it would rot the fascia first
assuming it is not some water proof material.

Colbyt was right on suggesting the problem is more likely to be
grade related or gutter/downspout related.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
My house was built in 1978; I bought it seven years ago. About
four
years ago I started having problems with water getting into my
(large)
crawlspace. I've read a good bit, including "drip edge" posts in
this
group. There is about a 3/4" gap between my roof decking and the
top of

my wood fascia. From my reading, it appears that the drip-edge
was not
installed. I think water is getting into the blockwork via the
gap. The

gutters seem to be pretty tight against the fascia, but maybe
that's
misleading.

Is my assumption correct the gap and drip edge?
If not, do I need to fill the gap by adding a small board atop
the
fascia? Or, maybe, make a custom-bend of aluminum to act as both
drip-edge and gap-plugger?
I've had a home inspector out here a couple of times over the
years. He

never mentioned this, so I've sort-of assumed the gap was normal
construction.
If this is a problem, I don't want to solve it by re-roofing.
The bucks

aren't there. And I think I need to get to work soon with wet
weather
coming on quickly.

My thanks to any kind soul with helpful suggestions.