Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Default Electrically conductive paint?

default wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:10:59 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

In between most key pads and the circuit board below is a vinyl (rubber)
membrane pad that has an electrically conductive area that closes two
contact points on the circuit board below . (Like on the inside of a TV
remote under the push buttons)

I have a device on-off switch that is failing because the black conductive
surface is wearing off. What I am looking for is that conductive paint so I
can dab a bit back on to the contacting surface area to make the switch work
again.

Does anyone know where to get something like that?

Dallas

ANYONE FINDS THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE . . . pLEASE pOST.

Most of the ones I come into contact with show oil (for lack of a
better descriptor) on the pads used frequently. The oil must be in
the pads themselves . . . from what I see. The center PB will have
oil and none to either side (on some). I don't believe it migrates.

This 'oil" seems to insulate the switch contacts. and appears on the
frequently used switches.

My cure has been isopropyl alcohol with a swab to the pad and paper
towel (toilet paper or napkin) to the board That fixes it like new
for about a month . . .

Aluminum foil with a thin (VERY THIN) RTV coating seems to work
longer but still not as long as the original pad coatings.

Only 100% fix seems to be replacing the key pad with a tiny surface
mount switch - - - if you can solder it, or see well enough . . .

Hi...

I wonder how dag would do? (aquadag)

www.achesonindustries.com/doc/pds/AquadagE.pdf

Take care.