Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no spam)@(or mail)rogers.com wrote in message
FWIW, the replacement bearings I ordered from Clausing a few years ago
are
Fafnir 7205WN SU.

Just curious, are those angular contact bearings? I can't find those
numbers in the catalogue. The Fafnir numbers I'm getting are more like
2MM205WICRDUL, that's for a 25deg. Class 7 bearing.

You've got me - I'm no bearing expert.

Based on the info in this link:

http://www.timken.com/industries/tor...nir/radial.pdf

It looks like they are a light duty (72), 25 mm (05), angular contact (WN)
bearing, external self-aligning (S) - but no mention of what the "U" might
stand for.

From the old Chaski group:

"By what I can find in my Fafnir bearing book a 7205WN SU bearing is a :
Single row angular contact bearing
7200 series .. Light
7205 is the bearing size (25x52x15mm)
WN is 37* contact angle and heavy-duty retainer of bronze
SU is flush ground bearings for back-to-back, face-to-face, or tandem
mounting

There is no description of this bearing being any type of precision (5, 7 or
9), the difference between this bearing and a standard 7205 bearing is the
contact angle for combined thrust and radial loads.

I would see no reason that these bearings should not be replaced with the
orginal specifications (bearing class), but the angular contact and being
flush ground I would think would be very important. I would be cautious
about replacing with a standard 7205 ($5 bearing). "

By someone else in response to a question about using standard 7205 bearings
for the Clausing spindle.

Mike