Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard

Default Help with eyelet type part

On 2 Dec 2005 17:25:03 -0800, "rigger" wrote:

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
The part I use is a 9/16" OD x 1/2" x 3/8" eyelet. It has been declared
obsolete by the Mfgr. I've been looking for a replacement for over a month
and can't get less than 50k parts at $.15 ea. My usage is about 4k / year.

I can use DOM tube...if I can find it. I've been looking A LOT! My normal
tube suppliers, I use 6 sizes of tube, don't have it and it looks like I
need to get a big qty.

I wish I could buy dies to make the eyelet or find a source for tube or find
a source for steel bushings (1 quote at $1.36 ea...machined from bar)

Any ideas?

(While writing this, I got a quote for DOM at $1.55 ft. ---So far, my best
bet)

Might check aircraft suppliers, thinwall tubing is pretty common for
them, but don't know if you could use the alloys, probably 4130 or
1020, possibly 1045. If you're crimping, these might crack. Wag Aero
would be one starting place, but only one. I've bought as little as
two feet from them, but remember it was pricey.

Rich