Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Default Can thermal shock crack cast iron?

wrote:

My friend Greg and I were yakking at lunch the other day. The conversation
came around to the subject of breaking glass or ceramic cookware by
thermal shock. (Get it really hot and toss it in cold water, etc...)
We decided that was yet another reason that cast iron cookware is nice.

But then we thought about it some more, (Wierd stuff usually transpires
when Greg & I get thinking) and wondered if it WOULD be possible to
break cast iron by thermal shock. We figured that it would take pretty
extreme conditions but that it might just barely be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts or anecdotes on the matter?

Did that to a cast iron griddle once when I was young and trying to cook
something. Was really hot and cracked clean across--managed to set the
contents on fire and tossed it in the sink to put it out. My mother was
_not_ amused.

Another lesson--if you run water into hot steel or aluminum pan sometimes
the bottom will develop a curvature and the pan won't sit flat anymore.

Jim Wygralak Public key at
http://tinyurl.com/5dju3
OpenPGP (gpg) signed messages get a free ride past my spam filters.
Bumperstickers for your coffee cup: http://www.cupclings.com

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate