Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Default Can thermal shock crack cast iron?

() wrote in :

My friend Greg and I were yakking at lunch the other day. The
conversation came around to the subject of breaking glass or ceramic
cookware by thermal shock. (Get it really hot and toss it in cold
water, etc...) We decided that was yet another reason that cast iron
cookware is nice.

But then we thought about it some more, (Wierd stuff usually
transpires when Greg & I get thinking) and wondered if it WOULD be
possible to break cast iron by thermal shock. We figured that it would
take pretty extreme conditions but that it might just barely be
possible.

Anyone have any thoughts or anecdotes on the matter?

Yes, you can break most things with heat/cold.....Delta T (change in
temperature)
What actually goes on is, the change in temperature pulls the material
apart.
If the delta T is enough, as one section/layer/area cools, it shrinks,
when this shrinkage pull becomes greater than the strength of the
material itself, it pulls apart. If I remember my physics correctly.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email