Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Default Removing taper pins from a clock mechanism

Snag wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to repair a wall clock. It's a "Dufa", built by Etzold &
Popitz of Germany in the 1920s or '30s. It's very similar to this one
on eBay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6584307091

Although it isn't an exceptionally valuable clock, it keeps good time
and was bought new by my great great uncle for his company office, so
I'm keen to get it fixed. The problem is that the main spring has
snapped. We got a clockmaker to quote for the repair, but the price
was high so I want to have a go myself.

To get the spring out one either needs to remove the clock face from
the mechanism, or remove the back plate from the mechanism. The
former is much more attractive as you don't have to disturb any of
the gears. The problem is that small taper pins (1/16" diameter at
most) have been used to attach the mechanism to the face, and also to
assemble much of the mechanism. However I disassemble the mechanism I
will need to remove several of these pins. I know the obvious method
of removal is with a pair of long nose pliers, but I tried this
without success. I don't want to pull too hard because then if the
pin comes free, my other hand will probably fly into the clock
mechanism and cause some damage (knowing my luck). A brief inspection
suggests to me that the pins are harder than mild steel and that they
were hammered into place. I can't hammer them out as the narrow ends
all face into the clock mechanism.
Any thoughts? How do professional clockmakers do it? Suggestions would
be appreciated...

Best wishes,

Chris

U-shaped apparatus , with one leg drilled and tapped for a small , hollow ,
screw . Hollow screw slides over big end of pin , other leg of "U" pushes
against the small end as you tighten (hollow) screw against side of shaft
that pin is in ...
Did any of that make sense ?

Thanks, Snag. That makes sense. Do you know if this is a commonly used
tool with a name, or just something you saw once?

Chris