Posted to alt.home.repair
chocolatemalt

Default fluorescent ballast longevity

In article ,
Tim Killian wrote:

chocolatemalt wrote:

Get electronic ballasts. You'll be glad you did.

These failing Sunpark ballasts are in fact electronic, so no luck there.
They are instant-on with nice light output... I had no complaints before
their short expiration date was up.

Don't feel too bad, I have 26 of them. They were installed a little over
two years ago, and one by one they're all starting to fail (ballasts) --
right on schedule.

The sad part is it's cheaper to throw the whole fixture away than to
repair the ballast.

Yay! Sorry for your misfortune but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

And I came to the same conclusion as you about ballast repair cost. Be
sure to cannibalize the cords before chucking the fixtures -- similar
cords cost $4-$8 when bought separately.