Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Default fluorescent ballast longevity

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tim Killian wrote:

chocolatemalt wrote:

Get electronic ballasts. You'll be glad you did.

These failing Sunpark ballasts are in fact electronic, so no luck
there. They are instant-on with nice light output... I had no
complaints before their short expiration date was up.

Don't feel too bad, I have 26 of them. They were installed a little
over two years ago, and one by one they're all starting to fail
(ballasts) -- right on schedule.

The sad part is it's cheaper to throw the whole fixture away than to
repair the ballast.

Would it be fair to guess that the rest of the fixture was of equal
quality?

Oddly enough, the sheet metal on these fixtures is well formed with a
nice powder coat finish, and the bulb sockets are the same quality as
used in commercial two-bulb lamps I've seen. Other than the 2.1 year
life of the Sunpak ballast, these lamps are a good value ;-)