Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default fluorescent ballast longevity

chocolatemalt wrote:

In article , CJT
wrote:

chocolatemalt wrote:

After 2 years of moderate use (2 hrs / day on average) I've determined
that the el cheapo $8 Commercial electric shop lights (2xF32T8) have a
pretty short life expectancy -- 5 out of 7 units have failed, and a 6th
is starting its flickering death throes. The bulbs are fine, the
ballasts (Sunpark CL-15) are toast. Meanwhile all the other ancient
shop lights that I inherited with the house are still going strong.

Get electronic ballasts. You'll be glad you did.

These failing Sunpark ballasts are in fact electronic, so no luck there.
They are instant-on with nice light output... I had no complaints before
their short expiration date was up.

If you got electronic ballasts for 8 bucks, you shouldn't be surprised
if they're not top quality.