Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ulysses

Default Propane regulator?

wrote in message
On 2 Dec 2005 01:05:21 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

first, install a carbon monoxide detector in the garage. second,
reconsider. third, if the garage is attached to your house warm it up
with a 20" window fan blowing room temp from the adjacent room, and
then shut the connecting door.
if the garage is detached, electric heaters would be the safe way to
go, and you might find infrared electric lamps to warm the skin when
you're at the workbench.
but the outline you gave is just as dangerous as improperly using a
propane gas barbecue grill indoors, but since you're living dangerously
it would be better to use a new grill with a regulator already safely
installed on it, and leave the garage door open to provide oxygen for
combustion and exhaust. and don't work alone. let us know when the
steaks are ready

Wow, while I say thanks for the reply, people like you really should
read the message before you reply. I think I was fairly clear when I
said [quote] "I just bought a used 40,000 btu L B White propane heater
that is made to heat barns".

I'm guessing that the reason that buffalobill replied as he did is due to
the reports of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning from using the kind of
propane heater you described. I looked at them and decided to get a
kerosene heater instead. If you think you have adequate ventilation then
that's fine and I wish you luck.

I don't know precisely which regulator you need depending upon the
requirements for the heater but generally speaking old regulators are
one-stage and the newer ones are two-stage which are supposedly safer.

I am NOT trying to use a BBQ grill in the garage. This is a barn
heater, similar to a small furnace that is intended to hang from the
rafters in a barn. I asked if the regulator from a discarded propane
BBQ grill would be a proper regulator for this furnace, since I have
one on hand.

This garage is not even near the house. I would not even consider
owning a garage attached to a house. I have been using an electric
heater, they are pretty much useless in there. This garage is not air
tight. It's not drafty, but far from air tight. Every rib on the tin
roof has a small hole into the garage, and gap under the overhead
door. So I am not too worried about CO2, and like I said these small
furnaces are made to be used indoors. They are advertised for
chicken, and hog barns.

You can see soem of these heaters he
www.lbwhite.com

I have one of the small 40,000 btu "Classic" models.

Mark