Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

Default Woodsove flue pipe temperature

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news:MZ_jf.26$605.2@trndny09...

wrote in message
ups.com...
In my old home I used a thermostat that was attached to the wood stove
pipe via a magnet backing. It indicated an ideal wood burn heat and
this resulted in a cup full of suite(sp) during 2 chimmney clean outs
per year. In my new (100 year old home) I have a pacific energy wood
burining insert in the old fireplace. The stove liner runs inside the
chimmney. Any one know of a product or way to determine the stack
temperature - no part of the pipe is exposed to the room. Dry firewood
is always used / a good rapid burn is used for the first 1/2 hour on a
new fire.

Thermometer with a very long probe? Can you drill a hole safely someplace
for it?

pyrometer? the one for a kiln can be on a long wire because the readout may
be a box on the wall.