Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Can you make a profit?

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:32:01 -0500, "russ498" wrote:

Well, Can you make a profit turning? I'm 50 YOA and retired from a
Government job so I don't have to worry about putting food on the table.
That said, can you "turn" turning into a part time vocation that makes it
worthwhile? If so, how, where and what product line do you suggest. Pen
makers seem to be a dime a dozen at the crafts shows and craft show people
don't seem to want to dig too deep into their wallet. Ebay isn't much
different.

For most people, I'd say no... unless you either have the equipment already or
don't factor it into the cost of making the product...

There are some very gifted people starving to death and some that (IMHO) are
gifted turners and also gifted sales/promotional people that seem to be doing
very well...

As you get a "name", the route seems to be adding classes, books, etc....

I sell a few of the things that I'm tired of dusting or moving around, but I
can't really imagine making a "living" or "profit" at it...

I would guess that my investment in lathes, tools, supporting machines like band
saw, chain saw, etc., has to be over $5,000... that's a LOT of $20 to $50 bowls,
even if the wood, finish, etc. is free... (I wish it was)

That said, you never can tell what life is going to throw at you... I made over
$300 this month from sales at an "honor system" at a local school's break room..
and it was all stuff that I did a year or so ago and thought really sucked..
*lol*
That's not bad, IMO, since there is no expense for a booth, travel, food, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing