Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can thermal shock crack cast iron?

My friend Greg and I were yakking at lunch the other day. The conversation
came around to the subject of breaking glass or ceramic cookware by thermal
shock. (Get it really hot and toss it in cold water, etc...)
We decided that was yet another reason that cast iron cookware is nice.

But then we thought about it some more, (Wierd stuff usually transpires
when Greg & I get thinking) and wondered if it WOULD be possible to
break cast iron by thermal shock. We figured that it would take pretty
extreme conditions but that it might just barely be possible.

Anyone have any thoughts or anecdotes on the matter?

Jim Wygralak Public key at http://tinyurl.com/5dju3
OpenPGP (gpg) signed messages get a free ride past my spam filters.
Bumperstickers for your coffee cup: http://www.cupclings.com