Peter H.

Default FA: Rivett 1020S Toolroom lathe - North Florida

That Rivet, is about the most elegant thing Ive seen. Whomever gets it is
gonna be a lucky fellow. A bit of paint, some elbow grease..and she will be a
beauty. Even if its only 20" between centers..sigh

Funny how the really great toolroom lathes are 10 by 20s.

Both Monarch and Hardinge made their 10 by 20s with the intention of using 5C
collets, which was built into the spindle on the Hardinge (and clones), but,
alas, not on the 10EE.

Only later did they both realize that "size really DOES matter".

I believe the 13EE/EE1000 could take a 3J collet. Well, a 2J, anyway.

I don't believe Hardinge made a "macho" toolroom lathe, such as the
13EE/EE1000.

Still, for precision turning between centers and for thread chasing, these
machines are magnificent.

I'd rate the Monarch higher on overall workpiece finish, and the Hardinge
higher on thead chasing convenience.

You say po-tah-toe, I say po-tay-toe.