Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

Default putting an outlet in a ceramic tile floor

"Don Young" wrote in message
I would think the probability of a first attempt at cutting an outlet
opening in ceramic tile by an amateur without tile damage to be pretty
small. It is also a lot of work. A Dremel type tool does not have enough
power to do the job within any reasonable time. Carbide or diamond drill
and abrasive saw would probably be the best tools. Lots of care, a steady
hand and lots of dust are involved. I would recommend a professional tile
person be hired.

i would use a 4" diamond dry blade in a side grinder. have someone hold a
shop vac with hepa filter bag nearby to suck up the dust. the floor outlets
i've seen are recessed down a bit lower than the floor level. there are
special boxes and covers for them, but i don't think a borg will carry them.

A floor outlet is generally not a good idea because of dirt getting in the
outlet and damage to plugs and cords from feet, furniture, sweeping,
mopping, etc.. I am not aware of any specific code requirements. It
certainly is possible but I would try to avoid it if at all possible. It
is usually much easier to find a place on a vertical surface even if
getting wiring to it requires ingenuity.

there are some, i think dealing with covers for unused sockets.

Don Young
"Toller" wrote in message
My wife is nagging me for an outlet in the entryway. The only possible
place for it is in the ceramic tile floor. I have a lot of questions...

1) How do I do the cut out? I have a bit for my rotary tool that claimed
to be made for cutting ceramic tile. Anyone used one of these? Is is
reliable? I don't want to start something i can't finish, or shatter the
tile. It is 1/4" so i could use my router instead of the rotary tool.
Would that be a good choice? Would I crank the speed down to match a
rotary tool? How do I make the initial hole; a carbide drill?
Any other suggestions?

2) Any electrical code relevant to a floor outlet? I suppose GFCI would
be a good choice, anything else?

thanks.