Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Default Wiring 3 way switches for detatched garage lights

Goedjn wrote:
I'm trying to figure out my options short of running another #4AL
feeder cable for the ground. I can pull more #14 wires, but just need
to know how I can make this code compliant and safe.

I don't think you can. You have two mutually exclusive choices:

1: Supply power to the garage with two hot wires, and a combined
ground/nuetral connected to earth in the garage.

and

2: Have switches in the house that are electrically connected to
something in the garage.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do both.
SO you have to either figure out how to control the
garage lights with a remote, or run a 4-wire feeder
cable to the garage, and abandon the local ground.

No you do not "abandon the local ground"! The grounding electrode
system is required in either case whether the feeder has an Equipment
Grounding Conductor (EGC) run with it or not. In a three wire feeder
the neutral of the feeder is bonded to the grounding electrode system of
the garage at the building disconnecting means. With a four wire feeder
that includes an EGC The EGC is bonded to the grounding electrode system
at the building disconnecting means and the neutral is kept aloof from
ground in the garage so that the neutral current will not flow on the
parallel conductive pathways to the building in which the service is
located.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.