Posted to rec.woodworking
dgadams

Default Glueing up a chair

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:17:28 +0000, Bob S wrote:

DonkeyHody said.......

Bob, I'll agree that epoxy is stronger and fills gaps better. But
epoxy is a pain to use and I think poly is strong enough for the
application. You are certainly free to disagree, just don't try to
make me look like a fool for suggesting it.

Damn,

Didn't try to make anyone look like a fool. Simply stated what has been
stated many times here before. If you don't believe that, then do some
research of your own.
Let's get the info straight so the OP isn't confused. Some poly's, like
System 3's, are advertised as gap filling and all the poly's I've ever tried
also foam out and will fill a reasonable sized gap. The poly can be sanded
and finished but the foaming action makes for weak, honey-comb like walls
which have little strength. So if the joint has a gap, and it needs to be
strong, then your best off using epoxy as the adhesive. If strength is not
an issue and you want to fill the gap with something, then poly glues are an
option but so is yellow glue and sawdust.

Bob S.

As the original poster I wasn't confused. I had already
glued up the chair before even sending the original post
My main interest was in identifying the original glue
used on the chair and the group was most helpful in pointing
me to hide glue. I understand the properties of the various
modern glues, but this thread has been interesting and I
thank everyone for their input. Actually the original
hide glue had held for 50 years. I really need to try
some of the stuff on an appropriate project.

DGA