Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suitable wood

George Max wrote:
On 1 Dec 2005 17:58:31 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I found a picture on the web that pretty
closely resembles my bed frame. Take a look at the bottom
configuration on
http://www.paxtonhardware.com/produc...dept=424&grp=1

The difference between this picture and my bed is there is a one inch
thich peice of wood between the metal plave and the bed post (although
I am looking at this picture closely now). That one inch thich peice
of wood has broken. I replaced it with hemlock, but it split.

I did drill pilot holes, but they were quite small.

Depending on where you are located the strongest wood your local
Home Depot carries should be maple. If it doesn't have maple
it may have Aspen. Usually HD carries 'cabinet woods' in 1x
thicknesses which for hardwoods are supposed to be at least
13/16" thick, but may only be 3/4". Typically locally they
carry red oak, maple and poplar. In some places I've seen
Aspen instead of maple. Whatever the cabinet hardwoods are
that are carried in your area, poplar probably should be your last
choice, but still better than the construction grade softwoods.

Holy cow, I'd stay away from Aspen. Maple is much harder and
stronger.

Yes, Maple woudl be my first choice. I think aspen is harder and
stronger than poplar though there are a lot of different aspens and
the wood from poplar _trees_ is also sold as 'aspen'. The wood
sold as 'poplar' is from the American tulip tree which is not even in
the same genus as poplar.

The only oak I have seen at HD is red oak which splits very easily.
Since he is having trouble with splitting, I'd suggest he avoid red oak
though I'd still recoomend it over poplar.

It's all good wood.

--

FF