Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Clausing spindle bearings-help!

In article , no spam says...

Well those instructions kinda confirmed what I've been hearing from others
privately and also what an engineer at Barden said, it's back to back and
there are no shims involved. Interesting they don't specify a torque rating
for the locknut, I found that it's supposed to be 23-50 ft-lb. Thanks for
the help!

Once again, the torque on the locknut does NOT set the preload.

It only assures that the preload that is built into the bearings
is achieved, and stays in place. Those things don't have to
be honkin' tight.

Jim

please reply to: