Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default "Dumb" question about machining thin parts

ducque wrote:

I don't know how to accurately make a very thin part -- for example,
something akin to a washer, or a very short bushing.

Things like these I make often that way:

Have some stock, bore & turn to desired ID/OD but do not part off.
Clamp it in the vice on a mill and cut off with a circular saw*) (a thin
one; 1mm thick; diameter about 50mm). You can get the thickness to
within 1/100mm. If you want, 0.1mm thick. Astonishing what _sharp_ and
good circular saws can do! I use the "REBO" brand.

Might help to know exactly what you want to make.
It often helps to have quite some stock left for
holding/gripping/clamping and parting that off in the very last step.

*) of course, you need a holder for the blade, but it can be made by
oneself.

Nick

--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models