Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

Default Unsafe UV from high-power tungsten halogen in office?

JS wrote:
"JS" wrote in message

I understand that linear tungsten halogen bulbs emit
noticeably more
UV light than general household incandescent bulbs.

Would it be safe to use a 300 Watt tunsten halogen floodlight
as a good bright light in my home office?

This would be on for approx 8 hours a day. I'm wondering that
maybe after that sort of exposure the extra UV could become a
significant adverse effect on eyes & skin.

On Thu 01 Dec 2005 15:11:31, TKM wrote:

-- snip --

But a piece of glass will filter the UV to minimum levels and
the halogen lamps should be enclosed anyway in case of bulb
rupture. You definitely don't want to experience that in a home
office situation.

Would any glass hold back a reasonable amount of UV?

Yes, that's why you don't get sunburn sitting by the window indoors.

MBQ