Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Default UPS Fraud in Furnace Parts

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Sawney Beane" wrote in message

On the internet I learned that the material is recrystalized
silicon carbide, known for its strength and resistance to thermal
shock. NASA uses it.

The package arrived the 23rd, covered with "FRAGILE!" stickers.
Inside, crumpled newsprint surrounded the manufacturer's box, which
had no such warning. In the box, the ignitor was surrounded by
foam rubber, a common precaution against being dropped on concrete,
for example. Heat marks showed that Quality Control had tested it.

So, it was OK leaving the factory.

That's what the vendor says, but I don't see how the damage could
have occurred subsequently in the foam package. Heat marks prove
only that it was cycled once, which would not necessarily have
shown cracking. Now that the vendor has sent me an ignitor that I
have five times asked him not to send, I mistrust him. I think the
factory tested it properly and discarded it.

Anyway, it's certainly not glass as the vendor said.

It seemed to me that the problem was really quality control, and
blaming UPS was unfair to consumers as well as UPS. November 28 I
emailed the dealer to say my new ignitor was working fine, and I
thought the broken one must have come from the factory with
invisible cracks. I said I thought the manufacturer could catch
such defects with a machine that would cycle ignitors several times
while monitoring current draw.

Above you said it showed that QC tested it. Why do you insist on blaming
the factory when in fact they did test it?

If the vendor was honest, the manufacturer had failed to catch
these cracks. As I said, repeatedly cycling an ignitor would cause
any cracks to grow and become evident by monitoring current. If the
vendor was honest, it seemed the manufacturer hadn't been so thorough.

He replied that he knew UPS had damaged it because he had inspected
it. He was sorry for my trouble and would ship me another one.

OK, the guy is trying to make things right.

By sending me something I had told him five times I didn't want?

At 4:30 PM UPS sent me a message that he had told them to pick up a
package he was sending me. At 6:30 PM I read the email and and
immediately phoned the dealer. I left a message on his machine
stating my name and telling him please not to send the ignitor
because I didn't need one. The next day, UPS tracking informed me
that he had given them the package two hours later, at 8:30.

Some confusion here. Just refuse the package.

Confusion?

I think I am dealing with crooks who have caused me a lot of
trouble, misused my credit card, told me to file a claim against a
company I don't think is at fault, and caused me to spend
Thanksgiving with my house at 48 degrees. What do I do now?

You said you already bought one local.

What's your point?

It is just your non-professional
opinion that the seller is wrong,

Should I rely on the opinion of a professional who says a DMM will
wreck a semiconductor or skin oil will wreck an HSI?

If the manufacturer said these ignitors often shattered when double
boxed and well padded, that would be significant. If the
manufacturer said his QC was ineffectual, that would be
significant. If UPS said very few of this vendor's ignitor
customers had problems, that would be significant.

but evidence you posted points to the
contrary.

What evidence did I post that says UPS broke it?