Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default Ohio TV tube plant to close

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...

There are no longer any CRT type monitors and
TV sets being produced by the major manufactures. There are still some
low end CRT device manufactures in the Orient. But, their productions
are declining.

NEC is a major manu. They are still making CRT units, and I hope they don't
stop. I'll choose my NEC FP2141SB over any LCD screen any day, or for that
matter any other CRT monitor under $1000, as I've compared it to some of the
best.

LCD output in resolution modes other than native (scaling) look like crap.
Unless and until designers overcome this limitation in a pixel-addressed
display, there will always be a market for CRT monitors, at least for the
high-end crowd (think professional graphic artists, video production,
programmers, etc.) I frequently change graphics modes on my pc's and I
won't even bother doing so with LCD.

Sure, CRT units weigh a ton (especially this 22" NEC monster), and sure they
eat more power and yeah they generate more heat and no they aren't
emission-free (fairly safe levels from what I've read on MPR-III/TCO99,
though). But.. until pixel-addressed displays are capable of matching my
NEC's color reproduction, video playback quality and ability to work well in
various resolutions, I'll keep buying CRT's. BTW, this NEC cost $600 --
that's for a 2048x1536 22" screen. Try finding an LCD monitor with a pixel
count this high (do they exist?) for anywhere near that price -- or even an
LCD screen of lower resolution but similar size. Before I get flamed, yes,
CRT text sucks at 2048x1536, BUT video is good. And how about annoying dead
pixels? Won't find those on CRT's.
The CRT beats LCD's quality (notable exception being text) and price point.
Of course, should all these CRT plant shutdowns cause individual CR-tube
prices to skyrocket, LCD's will eventually win the price war.

There are some newer technologies being developed that will offer more
improvements over the present LCD monitors. This new technology will
have a higher contrast ratio, finer defination, have quicker response,
and have higher brightness levels. From what I have been hearing, it
will be based on an LED type of technology.

OLED (Organic LED).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED (check out the pic of the Samsung
40-incher!)

Benefits include physical flexibility (imagine the apps!), true black, very
low power consumption and low production costs. Still gonna be
pixel-addressed and as such will suffer the aforementioned scaling
drawbacks.
I suppose I'll "get over" the scaling issue if ONE DAMN resolution is
adopted worldwide (and the world sticks with it). At least then one could
render a project knowing it will look identical -- and hopefully pleasing --
to everyone who views it!