Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default Servo powerfeed issue?

Mike Henry wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I installed a new Servo 150 X-axis powerfeed on my Bridgeport maybe a year
ago. It has worked correctly since then until yesterday, when it suddenly
stopped. I was milling a chunk of unknown aluminum with a 1½" indexable
carbide mill with 3 inserts, cut was .050" deep, feed pretty stout. It had
been cutting under those conditions just fine (using kerosene as a
lubricant/coolant) but suddenly mid-cut it just stopped. I didn't hear any
ominous noises, no *crunch*, no electrical type noises, no smoke or smell
of electrical issues. I removed the crank handle and slid off the bronze
gear, and activated the switch - pinion was turning smoothly in both
directions. I put the bronze gear back on (didn't remove any shims) and
held it with my fingers and hit the lever. It felt like the teeth weren't
fully meshing, in fact they were just barely touching. I removed one of the
thick shims and reinstalled everything, now it feeds fine but I don't know
if the backlash is adjusted correctly anymore.

Nor does it make much sense how the gears could have worked their way
apart to the point where they didn't even mesh.

My problem is I discarded the instructions as to how to set the backlash.
I don't have a contact at Servo, don't know how to reach them. Does anyone
know how to set the backlash correctly in a Servo powerfeed unit? It's the
150 oz-in one, if that matters.

Google turned up Servo's home page in the first coupel of hits and another
couple of clicks turned up this page:

http://www.servoproductsco.com/html/...eed.html#chart

There you should find the appropriate manual which contains info on
adjustments and installation..

Mike

Ah-HA! The very thing. Thanks Mike!! - GWE